Archive for: August, 2019

Lessons learned by integrity unit: NRL COO

Aug 07 2019 Published by under 深圳桑拿网

The NRL conceded its integrity unit has to lift its game, after a botched investigation into the Arizona arrest of John Sutton and Luke Burgess was concluded on Monday.

南宁桑拿

Souths were hit with a $20,000 fine over the incident and former chief executive Shane Richardson cleared of any wrongdoing, but neither Sutton nor Burgess were suspended over their roles in the pre-season off field drama.

The integrity unit re-opened its investigation into the November incident last month, after crucial details were uncovered by the press.

New NRL chief operating officer Suzanne Young conceded the integrity unit needed to improve.

“It would be fair to say that the integrity unit has learnt lessons out of this incident as well and will be improving its processes,” she said.

“I have full confidence in the unit and will continue to support them in their investigations.

“We will be working with the clubs over the coming week to see how we can improve the rules and guidelines for the clubs.

“When we share the updated rules and guidelines we can address which specifics are required to address and close any gaps.”

“We will look at the systems and processes into the investigation and look to improve those.”

“In this situation we can all take lessons as to how it was investigated and take steps to improve.”

Richardson began his job as head of game strategy and development on Monday.

Sutton is free to play in Souths’ season opener against Brisbane on Thursday, while Burgess, who is now with Manly, will play for the Sea Eagles against Parramatta on Friday.

“Our investigation concluded that while the Souths club met its obligations to advise the investigative unit of the incident, it did not follow the matter to its conclusion and should have been more diligent,” Young said.

“The investigative unit was not informed about the payment made to the security officer which led to the matter being dropped.”

Young said the NRL would announce its new guidelines into reporting player misbehaviour within the next fortnight as the game’s governing body again left itself open for criticism over its inconsistency in handing out sanctions.

Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce was banned for a game and hit with a $20,000 fine over his Kings Cross arrest last year.

Samoa internationals Reni Maitua, Tautau Moga and Sauaso Sue missed a Test match and were each fined $10,000 over their involvement in a nightclub brawl during the Four Nations tournament last year.

Paul Gallen was fined $35,000 for an abusive tweet aimed at the NRL late last year.

Souths released a statement late on Monday afternoon saying the club will “consider its position on this matter over the next five business days”.

The Gold Coast cocaine dramas are set to provide the integrity unit’s next test.

Comments are off for this post

Merrin widens Panthers’ premiership window

Aug 07 2019 Published by under 深圳桑拿网

Penrith believe they have put in place the final piece of their premiership puzzle after signing NSW back-rower Trent Merrin on a big-money deal for the 2016 NRL season.

南宁桑拿

Merrin on Monday announced he would leave St George Illawarra at the end of 2015 to take up a three-year $2 million deal at Penrith.

He resisted an offer to join Brisbane and reunite with coach Wayne Bennett, who handed him his first-grade debut at the Dragons.

Penrith general manager Phil Gould described Merrin’s signature as one of the most important in the club’s history.

The Panthers’ playing group is considered one of the best young squads in the NRL and Merrin’s Origin and premiership-winning experience is seen as a vital cog in their title ambitions.

“We are absolutely delighted to confirm Trent Merrin will be joining the Panthers for the next three seasons,” Gould said.

“This is one of the most significant player signings this club has made in its 49-year history.

“Trent has been part of a premiership-winning team and already achieved 10 State of Origin appearances for NSW.

“At 25 years of age we believe Trent is about to enter the prime time of his playing career with his best football still in front of him.

“Apart from his obvious playing talents, Trent brings valuable experience and leadership qualities to Panthers. We are very excited about this signing.”

Merrin will become the second NSW representative to leave the Dragons in as many years following Brett Morris’ move to the Bulldogs this season.

Gould was instrumental in luring Merrin to the foot of the mountains and the Shellharbour junior is convinced Penrith is the club which can springboard him to even higher honours.

Panthers CEO Justin Pascoe said Merrin’s decision showed Penrith is an attractive proposition for big-name players.

“Trent is an outstanding footballer and person and will add enormous experience and value to our existing squad and also our young forwards coming through our pathway program,” Pascoe said.

“We are extremely honoured that Trent has chosen to join our organisation and it gives us a great amount of satisfaction that all the work we’re doing on and off the field is proving to be attractive to those outside the organisation.”

Comments are off for this post

Dortmund’s Subotic turns down Serbia return

Aug 07 2019 Published by under 深圳桑拿网

The 26-year old centre-back last played for Serbia in October 2013, when he walked out on the national team at the end of their futile World Cup 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.

南宁桑拿

He tore his knee ligaments a month later but after returning last August, he turned down a call-up by Serbia’s former Dutch coach Dick Advocaat, who stepped down in November after only one point from the opening three Euro 2016 qualifiers.

“We had a sincere talk and it’s clear that Subotic is not ready to return to the national team at this point in time,” Curcic told the FSS official website (南宁夜网.fss.rs).

“The game against Portugal is coming up soon and I needed to know which players I can count on because we have several options in each position.”

Subotic said his priority was to make full recovery from a serious knee injury which sidelined him for nine months last season.

“It’s true that I am playing again but I am engaged in daily therapy to further strengthen my knee and it’s been assessed that making an international return would not be the best decision for my health at this time,” he said.

Serbia are fourth in Group I with one point from three matches ahead of visits to Portugal on March 29 and Denmark on June 13.

Dortmund, who spent much of the current Bundesliga season in the bottom half of Germany’s top flight, have moved up to mid-table after a recent run of victories.

They will also try to overturn a 2-1 first leg deficit against Juventus in their Champions League last-16 tie when they host the Italian title holders on March 18.

(Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

Comments are off for this post

Waiting game for Titans NRL players

Aug 07 2019 Published by under 深圳桑拿网

The immediate playing future of the Gold Coast Titans embroiled in the NRL cocaine scandal is still up in the air with club CEO Graham Annesley saying they are still waiting on key information about the charges.

南宁桑拿

Annesley told AAP the club was yet to see a summary of the police brief on the case.

“Until we get the information that we are after we are no closer to a decision,” Annesley said.

“There are police documents that we need to see before we are in a position to make a decision.

“You can’t make decisions without information.”

Asked if he hoped players would be reinstated before their NRL round one clash against Wests Tigers on Saturday night, Annesley said: “I am hopeful of getting the matter resolved as quickly as possible.

“I don’t think anyone wants to be in this position.

“We have had to react to something that is beyond our control.”

Lawyer Campbell MacCallum – who represents six past and present Titans facing drug charges – had been hopeful of speaking to the Gold Coast board as early as Monday night regarding their reinstatement.

However, he told AAP that he now expected it to be in the “next couple of days” as the players’ day in court loomed.

Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling will face Southport Magistrates Court on Thursday, with Greg Bird, Dave Taylor, Kalifa Faifai Loa and former Titans Joe Vickery and Ashley Harrison set to appear four days later on charges of supplying cocaine.

Falloon’s lawyer Chris Nyst claimed on Monday that the case against his client was non-existent.

Nyst has also written to the Department of Prosecutions and Annesley, calling the case weak.

Nyst said the charge of supplying cocaine came down to a series of vague text messages and phone calls.

He also called for the charges to be thrown out before they reach court.

The Crime and Corruption Commission will reportedly allege Falloon sent alleged cocaine cartel kingpin John Touma a text message hours after the Titans final game of 2014 saying: “The season starts now.”

Nyst is of the belief there is no serious proof against his client.

“It is patently obvious to me that the (case) summary disclosed absolutely nothing to prove Mr Falloon supplied or received anything at all,” he told The Courier-Mail newspaper.

“In my view any competent lawyer would conclude from the disclosed material there is no case against Mr Falloon on any of the charges against him.”

On the back of his statement and letter to the Department of Prosecutions, Nyst wrote to Annesley calling for Falloon’s immediate return to the playing squad.

Meanwhile, MacCallum – who is representing the other six past and present Titans players charged – claimed he was also confident his clients would beat the charges.

Comments are off for this post

No evidence Knox told to destroy records

Aug 07 2019 Published by under 深圳桑拿网

There is no evidence to support an allegation linking a former Uniting Church leader with the destruction of documents at Knox Grammar School, an inquiry has heard.

南宁桑拿

Counsel assisting the child abuse royal commission David Lloyd said on Monday it was not his intention to recommend finding related to the records against James Mein, the former moderator of the Uniting Church and former council member at the Sydney boys day and boarding school.

Mr Lloyd said Dwane Feehley, whose email contained an allegation that a solicitor assisted by Jim Mein was advising Knox to destroy records, was overseas and could not be compelled to appear.

There was no other evidence to suggest Mr Mein or former chairman of the Knox Council, solicitor Rob Wannan, made any such advice.

The commission has found a “paucity” of records at the school about student complaints and the school’s response to allegations of historical sexual abuse of students.

On Monday Mr Mein said the conversations he remembered related to concerns someone had “sanitised” the school records.

He also said he and others on the council suspected documents were removed by Adrian Nisbett, a teacher who was later convicted of indecent dealing with boys.

The commission has heard Nisbett, who was allow to resign in 2004, is now in Africa and cannot be summoned to appear.

Nisbett was assistant to headmaster Ian Paterson and was given the job of compiling an 80th anniversary publication for the school and had access to archives.

“I certainly have never, nor am I aware of any solicitor in our groups, that actually said we should be destroying records,” Mr Mein told the hearing on Monday.

Mr Mein he thought it “abhorrent” to destroy documents.

Comments are off for this post