The immediate playing future of the Gold Coast Titans embroiled in the NRL cocaine scandal is still up in the air with club CEO Graham Annesley saying they are still waiting on key information about the charges.
Annesley told AAP the club was yet to see a summary of the police brief on the case.
“Until we get the information that we are after we are no closer to a decision,” Annesley said.
“There are police documents that we need to see before we are in a position to make a decision.
“You can’t make decisions without information.”
Asked if he hoped players would be reinstated before their NRL round one clash against Wests Tigers on Saturday night, Annesley said: “I am hopeful of getting the matter resolved as quickly as possible.
“I don’t think anyone wants to be in this position.
“We have had to react to something that is beyond our control.”
Lawyer Campbell MacCallum – who represents six past and present Titans facing drug charges – had been hopeful of speaking to the Gold Coast board as early as Monday night regarding their reinstatement.
However, he told AAP that he now expected it to be in the “next couple of days” as the players’ day in court loomed.
Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling will face Southport Magistrates Court on Thursday, with Greg Bird, Dave Taylor, Kalifa Faifai Loa and former Titans Joe Vickery and Ashley Harrison set to appear four days later on charges of supplying cocaine.
Falloon’s lawyer Chris Nyst claimed on Monday that the case against his client was non-existent.
Nyst has also written to the Department of Prosecutions and Annesley, calling the case weak.
Nyst said the charge of supplying cocaine came down to a series of vague text messages and phone calls.
He also called for the charges to be thrown out before they reach court.
The Crime and Corruption Commission will reportedly allege Falloon sent alleged cocaine cartel kingpin John Touma a text message hours after the Titans final game of 2014 saying: “The season starts now.”
Nyst is of the belief there is no serious proof against his client.
“It is patently obvious to me that the (case) summary disclosed absolutely nothing to prove Mr Falloon supplied or received anything at all,” he told The Courier-Mail newspaper.
“In my view any competent lawyer would conclude from the disclosed material there is no case against Mr Falloon on any of the charges against him.”
On the back of his statement and letter to the Department of Prosecutions, Nyst wrote to Annesley calling for Falloon’s immediate return to the playing squad.
Meanwhile, MacCallum – who is representing the other six past and present Titans players charged – claimed he was also confident his clients would beat the charges.